Tuesday, January 31, 2017 2:30pm-1:30pm CST

Dear All:

Well, another trip has begun. As will all of my missives (or at least most of them) I will begin at the beginning. Got up this morning at 5:30 as Bapp (my daughter) was picking me at 7am. I get mocked quite often for leaving too early for airports but my ‘earliness’ paid off this morning. We got on 635 and even the HOV lane was clogged. Found out that about 7 miles ahead a car had caught on fire and there were 3 firetrucks and multiple police cars. All but two lanes were moving and this was ‘rush hour traffic’. Got to the airport about one hour before takeoff. Entered with no problems and did not have to wait in line. Flight was not full and we actually took off 20 minutes early and landed in Atlanta ahead of schedule. Am in Atlanta with a 3-hour layover. Have been able to write postcards to grandkids that I will post on Thursday. Flight to Paris is 7 hours or so and then a 5-hour layover. Scheduled to land in Douala on Wednesday at 5:05 local time which will be 11:05am in Dallas. Have already done some reading and will do the same on the plane. Will try to sleep some and hopefully that will go OK.

Wednesday, February 1, 2017 7:00am-12:00am CST

Trip has been smooth so far. If you have been reading my Howdys for some time you will not be surprised to hear that the joy of the Atlanta-Paris flight was the meal on the plane. It is quite clear that the airlines hire the finest chefs in the world to prepare the delicacies that we consume. I even had Cocktail Shrimp along with many other fine foods. To call “airplane food” delicious is like calling my wife beautiful. Both are obvious and beyond argument!!! I was able to get about 3 hours’ worth of sleep although it was not the most fitful. Did a bunch of reading and landed ahead of schedule. Went through Customs and had no problems. Am at the gate and have been doing a plethora of things. Teresa; you will have to ask Ricardo what plethora means. Charging my Cameroon phone and was able to get on the internet and look at some news from the States. It is still over 3 hours before lift-off so I will probably watch a TV show. That handsome young boy below is our grandson, Cy. Last Saturday he won the overall championship of all of the Cub Scout dens in Plano. At least the one he is in. This was a car race called the Pinewood Derby and you can see his car and trophy. Better than winning that prize; he is a GREAT kid!

Wednesday, February 1, 2017 3:15pm-9:15am CST

Before I go any further I must tell you that I am quite upset. You see, the airline gave everyone an ice cream bar but they forced me to take two more! That’s right: against my will I had to eat 3 ice cream bars! How am I going to keep my youthful figger? Many of you are aware that I watch my diet very closely; it pays to have good eyes! OK: boarded roughly on time and took off a little late. Am not sure but assume we will still land close to the “appointed time”. I have been sleeping some more and then went over my introduction for the seminar and my class. Have less than two hours to touchdown so I am going to watch an episode of the Rockford Files. Instead of watching a TV show that I mentioned above I watched one of the two stupidest movies I have ever seen: Airplane. The other movie that vies for the #1 goofy movie of all-time (at least those I have seen) is Pee-Wee’s Big Adventure. All three flights have been smooth and I have had good seats. I am next to a mom with a 3 year old and an infant and that has been somewhat interesting, in a perverse sort of way. Oh, please pray for our grandson, KB, as he has Poison Ivy.

Wednesday, February 1, 2017 9:45pm-3:45pm CST

Landed with no problems. At customs they now take your picture. Got through the process quickly but I can’t say the same for my bags. The good news is that they arrived. Jean Claude and Martin picked me at the airport and we had supper together tonight. I have already had a nice shower and will Skype with Charlie Brown and Grandma soon. The strike is still on and started in late November. I don’t understand this but while the teachers are only striking on Wednesday, Thursday and Friday the children have had no school for over 2 months! We are praying that it is settled before we head to Kumba. I want to do a few more things and hopefully get to bed at a decent hour. Thanks for your constant prayers.

In Christ,

Jim Corner

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: