Wednesday, February 13, 2013 8:55pm-1:55pm CST
We will start today from the beginning. Got up at 6:30 and did normal stuff. Louise came over just before we left so she could check email. Left @7:50 and had no trouble getting a taxi and the ride was uneventful. We went into the hotel with Louise briefly but once again there were women there so Terry and I were off. Martin was waiting for him and I grabbed another machine. I think that Martin simply enjoys bringing excitement into Terry’s life. Got there with no problems and enjoyed visiting with the brethren. Terry’s class started on time and as always, he did a GREAT job. I couldn’t come up with a good reason to leave but tomorrow I will. His class is supposed to close at noon so he was shutting down at 11:45 when one brother asked a question that got so many to commenting that we had to finally shut it all down. They can come up with some good questions and at times, questions that have nothing to do with the lesson and they are always of the difficult type that have no definitive answer. At least, in my mind there is no definitive answer although each one of them has one. The picture below is just after Terry had finished his class. Daniel and another brother took Terry and Louise back to the hotel. I had meetings again from noon till time for me to teach. I met with 4 different preachers about various things. My class went well and I am on schedule. The electricity was out during my meetings at noon so my sweat glands got another good work-out. BTW: they are functioning quite well. The electricity is quite erratic. After class I hailed a cab and we headed for the hotel. The driver stopped to get petrol and they switched drivers. Didn’t understand what was going on but we made it home just fine. Louise and I briefly went down to a local grocery store to buy a few staples (no candy bars this time). She got on my computer for a while and I have been on it ever since. I plan to Skype Linda in about 10 minutes and then Skype Bapp in another hour or so. Attendance for the men today was 40 as compared with 49 last year. The ladies had 41 compared with 51 last year and my class was 58 compared to 86 last year.
1. I can’t remember if I told you or not but my dear sister-in-law, Ellen and my dear daughter-in-laws’ sister Amanda are both a bit paranoid when it comes to riding with any other driver. OK; they are semi-paranoid. Oh well, confession is good for the soul so I will tell the truth; they are nuts!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! At any rate I am trying to get them to come to Cameroon and ride in a Taxi for just an hour or so. If they will do this when they return to America they will be extremely calm riders. That is, of course, if they don’t die of heart failure here!
2. I was able to weave in an example about my dear, lovely, darling wife this afternoon. I won’t say what I said because I don’t want to embarrass her (or get myself in trouble).
3. I have not discussed our accommodations on this trip. The hotel is really nice. We have hot water, a toilet that works, good bath towels and a good shower, a wonderful A/C and a great ice box. I am not going to define ‘ice box’ so the youngsters can go to their grandparents and ask them what I am talking about.
4. I do need you to pray for me as there is a level of suffering taking place. Some of my cold drinks in my fridge are freezing which creates a problem. I only have 4 types of chocolate (or is it 5) and only enough food to keep me going until I get back to the States! We have truly been blessed and have all enjoyed good health.
5. When I think of the sacrifices that we make it is quite interesting to look at different eras. For example, Tex and Mary Jane Williams came to South Africa in the late 50’s. If I remember correctly they came on a boat and it took about 30 days to get there. I know they had no luxuries of any kind. Then I first came to Ghana in 1988 and I remember when you NEVER saw hot water, rarely saw a room with A/C and NEVER saw a room with a fridge. You might have a closet and you might not. The shower was often right by the commode which was nice for multi-taxing! If you found a truly cold drink you were excited beyond belief. The first timers now have it relatively easy but so did I compared to the pioneers.
We continue to thank you for your prayers.